The American Camp Association® and the YMCA® have worked together to produce this co-branded camp director course structured to provide the basics for directors with fewer than six years of experience or for seasoned program directors and site managers. This online course introduces and provides a straightforward understanding of camp management with ACA’s Core Competency areas as a framework.
This certificate course built around the ACA 13 core competencies is specifically designed for people who are newer to working as:
- a director of a youth camp
- director in a youth setting like afterschool programs
- director of parks and recreation youth or camp programs
- owners and administrators
These varied directors all share similar responsibilities such as:
- management of operations and programs
- supervisory expectations for other staff
- administrative responsibilities
- responsibility for training and evaluation efforts undertaken by the program.
Some candidates may be full-time, year-round employees; others may be year-around part-time employees; and still others may be seasonal employees.
This online course is designed, based upon the best evidence for practice and the experience of leading directors, to provide learners with the most typical skills and activities encountered by camp and youth program directors.
At the end of the course, learners will have completed learning experiences that enhance common skills and knowledge sets needed by directors that help them:
- Be a better administrator and supervisor to staff
- Better meet expectations for job performance
- Enhance the learner’s professional development
Camp Director Certificate Course Length: 20 hours
Member Price/ person
Nonmember Price/ person**
1 to 5*
6 to 10***
11 to 999***
*Be sure to indicate the quantity you intend to purchase before you complete your checkout. Note: You do not have to have detailed info for all your learners at the time of purchase. You can amend your list as necessary.
Purchase the Online Camp Director Certificate Course – for yourself
***Ordering more than 1? Call ACA, 800-428-2267 ext. 508 to place your order.
A special thanks is extended to the curriculum authors for this course:
- DD Gass, Camp Fire USA
- Mary Helen Franko, YMCA Camp Grady Spruce
- Jeff Merhige, YMCA Camp Kern
- Connie Coutellier, Independent Consultant
- John Duntley, YMCA USA
- Deb Bialeschki, Ph.D., American Camp Association
- Kim Brosnan, American Camp Association
- Barry Garst, Ph.D., American Camp Association